Feeling that winter chill? Add this delicious Fish, Leek and Fennel Broth to your next meal! Rich with minerals like calcium and magnesium, this broth is tasty on its own or makes a nourishing addition to soups, stews and casseroles.
The Source Bulk Foods recipe.
TIME: Cooking time 2-3 hours. Preparation time 15 minutes.
- 2 Tbsp organic olive oil, organic raw coconut oil or organic grass-fed ghee
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 fennel, roughly chopped
- Water, to cover
- 3 fish carcasses, from fish such as salmon, snapper, kingfish or barramundi
- 4-5 thyme springs
- 2 springs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Handful parsley leaves
- 1 tsp organic whole black peppercorns
- fine Celtic sea salt, to taste
- ⅓ cup organic apple cider vinegar
- (optional) 1/2 cup thickened cream or coconut milk. Try our organic coconut milk powder.
- (optional) 1-2 fish fillet, cut into pieces, from fish such as salmon, snapper, kingfish or barramundi
- Warm oil in slow-cooker over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and leek, tossing to coat. Add all vegetables and cover with water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to the lowest setting and let simmer for 30 mins.
- Add fish carcass and bring to boil. Turn heat down and skim off any foam that rises. Add herbs, peppercorns, salt and apple cider vinegar. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Optional to add pieces of fish fillets and/or thickened cream or coconut milk for a heartier meal. Add 15min before removing off heat.
- For broth: Leave to cool then pour straight into glass jars or containers. Keep broth in fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- For heartier soup: Serve immediately with bread and a sprinkle of parsley and lemon.
CLICK HERE for more The Source Bulk Foods recipes.